The Development and Evolution of Online Slots Over the YearsAugust 24, 2018
Slots are gaining popularity in the online gambling world and that’s probably why we love them. They are very impressive especially because they are always evolving since 1895.
It all started in the city of San Francisco when a German named Charles Fey invented Liberty Bell, the world’s first slot game. The earliest slot machines were generally called one-armed bandits because they had a handle. Liberty Bell was a huge, noisy slot machine and playing the game involved manual spins. It featured 3 wheels with 10 symbols each. Some of the symbols included Clubs, Hearts, Spades, Diamonds, and the Bell. Players won 50 cents if they matched the bell in the 3 reels. More slot symbols such as cherries, bananas, and lemons emerged over time. Hotels in Las Vegas have embraced slots since the 1940s and there is no sign of turning back.
Slot machines are now popular and have inspired electronic slots that have revolutionized the online gaming industry. At first, it was hard to convince players that video slots guaranteed fairness. Players thought they could manipulate Lady Luck when playing machine slots because they would pull the handle. However, they eventually started to love video slots.
Slots went online in the 1990s and people could choose between online casinos and brick-and-mortar casinos. Mobile casinos also emerged making it possible to play slots at any given moment. In addition, online slots with amazing features, soundtracks, and graphics emerge every day.
- 1895 – Charles Fey invents Liberty Bell
- 1910 – Operator Bell, a lighter version of Liberty Bell with fruit symbols
- 1930 – Innovative changes by Mills Novelty Company
- 1940 – Flamingo Hilton gets its first slot in Las Vegas
- 1963 – Bally Manufacturing releases Honey Money, the world’s first electronic machine
- 1975 – Fortune Coin Company creates the world’s first video slot
- 1986 – IGT invents Megabucks, the world’s first progressive slot machine
- 1990s – Online and land-based slots in operation
- 1994 – Online slots become legal in Barbuda and Antigua
- 1996 – The first video slot with second screen bonuses
- 1997 – Microgaming introduces real money games
- 2000s – Mobile slots on smartphones
- 2010 – More than 865 online casinos and 50 slot developers
- 2015 – Online slots on smartwatches